Turn off lights when you leave the room
In an average home, lighting accounts for nearly 9% of electricity costs. Turning lights off when you're not in the room is a simple way for you to make a dent in your utility bill.
How it works:
- You save energy whenever you turn off a light. Light bulbs use only a small amount of extra energy to "start up" so it's almost always energy efficient to turn them off when they're not in use.
Things to think about:
- Make it a habit to turn lights off each time you leave a room.
- Before you go to sleep, walk through your home and shut off any forgotten lights.
- To help get into the habit, try leaving eye-catching reminders near your lights and doorways.
- Encourage other family members to turn off their lights as well. This is a great way for young children to do their part to save energy.
Good to know:
- If you have incandescent bulbs, you can save even more by replacing them with LEDs.
- To maximize the lifespan of your bulbs, only turn lights on when you know you'll need them.